This is what I'm wondering about: snot. But I'll get to my question in a minute.
I hate germs and sickness. I have always Lysoled/bleached everything (from my classroom to our home). I always have hand sanitizer and am washing my hands. I think since I'm so careful (or maybe paranoid?) about spreading germs, my kids have been very healthy. Ryan has only been sick a couple of times and it's been when he has played with other children who have spread sickness. I have to admit that I have not been very patient or tolerant with this.
I have a hard time believing constant mucus drippage can be normal. Since we eat a fairly low carb/low sugar diet (because Jared is diabetic) we have also noticed that we all have less mucus. When we eat a high carb meal (pasta, pizza) or a lot of sugar (dessert) we feel stuffier. Jared refers to it as the "sugar booger." Yes it's gross, but I know you all know what I mean!
So I've been babysitting, and it's going fine overall. I watch an 11 month old five days a week, and a 12 month and 3 year old three days a week. It's very busy, but I'm very strict about routines, so things run fairly smooth. But the past couple of weeks the kids I watch have been sick. All three of them. Runny noses and coughs. One of the parents has told me they just always have runny noses. The other one told me it's allergies, but since it's been raining almost everyday for the past couple of weeks now he's saying it's teething. Maybe they are right. I don't know. Do colds really last this long? Is it normal to ALWAYS have a runny nose and hacking cough? And now today the snot is bordering on green. Every daycare/school I've ever worked at, plus the church nursery have said not to bring kids if the snot is green. I'm not sure if I should tell the parents not to bring their kids unless they are WELL, or if this is too much to ask. I googled green snot and I can't seem to find a clear answer. Some people say the color doesn't matter, some say it's an infection. My kids have never had green snot so I don't really know. Since the day they were born Jared or I have suctioned them out with the bulb whenever they seem stuffy or have a runny nose. Maybe we are the abnormal ones!
I need the income right now (especially because our new renter's check just bounced and we are having to eat the cost--new vent there), so I hesitate to send the kids home, but I REALLY don't want my kids to be sick. Help please?
P.S. I know there are some lurkers that read my blog but don't leave comments. Please feel free to comment! I'd love all the opinions I can get right now.
Need Some Advice
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






6 comments:
My sons nose always runs when he plays outside because of allergies. My niece always has a runny nose and is coughing because of allergies too.
I am so sorry about the rent check bouncing. About the runny nose thing... Maybe it is because your kids eat healthier, but most kids have runny noses. And, even though it is raining, they still really could just have allergies. Blakes allergies get bad while its raining because of the wind associated with the rain. Sorry about your babysitting kids. I am not very good at the advice thing... :)
Snot happens. Yep, with how many toxins and other garbage in our food and air these days it's no wonder kids are plagued with this. We rarely get sick either. But, it is best to get sick every so often when kids are young. I know of one mom who bleached her house so often her son went to school and was so sick, so often, he missed more school than went. Remember those antibodies are essential to health as an adult. Although it's very annoying, if you chose not to keep these kids, you'd probably never have them, which means no $. I'm in the same boat. I watch kids, too.
My little guy has allergies and he has boogers ALL the time. Ninety percent of all picture I take of him he has a snot rocket or some sort of nasal drainage. Even on rainy days. I thought he was sick for months when we moved to Las Vegas but I finally found out it was just allergies. Just keep those noses wiped and you hands clean. You will survive or not;). Good luck!
This is a touchy subject for me too, it really ticks me off when mom's bring their sick kids to nursery or over to play! GRRR! I've heard the same thing, if it's green, it's an infection. Plus, you have to look at it this way. It's going to cost you more money too, taking your kids to the Dr. if the kids you are babysitting get them sick. I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons. GOOD luck!! :)
first of all, kudos for trying to keep your kids happy and healthy as much as possible. that's great.... but sometimes you can go overboard. It is actually HEALTHY to let your little ones have colds now and then! This helps strengthen their immune system so they can fight the tougher bugs. (I'm not saying to go LOOKING for colds, but don't get all upset if they catch one). Alright, here's my opinion on the daycare kids: You are not a daycare center, in the sense that your kids are always with you - you can't "send them home" if they're sick, etc. My rule with Venice: a common cold will happen. I let it happen. It's too much energy for everyone to keep the kids apart, colds could last a week or more and you can't expect the working parent to take a week off for "just" a cold (or you either - I know about the money thing, too!) Colds aren't going to kill anyone. However, my rule of thumb is this: if she has diahrrea (real diarrhea, not just one or two runny diapers) I send her home (or don't come, if I know about it.) Any throwing up at all, she doesn't come for the duration and for 2 days after the last vomitting routine. Same for my kids - I call Jill if they have either of these and tell her not to bring Venice. But a cold... those happen. I also made sure that Jill found a backup (for when your kids are sick and it's not the parent's fault their kids can't come) ALso, I know you don't want to hear this, but with 5 kids from 3 different homes and home routines... SOMEONE is probably ALWAYS going to have a runny nose or a cold or something. That's life with toddlers! good luck
Post a Comment